7.7.06

a second chance

in about 15 minutes i'm heading out to go translate for a group of spanish-speaking pilgrims during their visit to the archives building... i'm a little nervous, but so looking forward to it...
*
i've been once before... every year, staff gets to sign up to go to each of the holy places, and so i went on my staff visit earlier this year... but the day i was scheduled, i was in such a rush, and i felt so not in the right frame of mind to be going... i almost turned back to walk back home several times on the way there, but patrik was so sweet and kept saying that i should decide once we got there whether or not to go in, and that it was going to be ok... i ended up going on my staff visit that day, and was very overwhelmed by it all... everything seemed very surreal, but at the same time was making the faith so REAL, to see things that had belonged to these Holy figures... the hour flew by and i left the archives feeling so bewildered, but glad that i had gone...
*
today i get to go in a completely different context, and it will be so interesting to hear the stories about each of the items again (and this time, maybe i'll actually remember the stories because i'll have to be paying such close attention!), and to be there while the pilgrims go through the experience... and i'm glad i get to go again before leaving the holy land... wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck !!!
I was able to visit the Archives twice, which I was glad because I had a problem with one of my contact lenses and I had to do the visit with only one eye open (I couldn't see with the other one).
You are really lucky, cause by been with the pilgrims, you will see the 2nd floor, which you can't as staff.

Diane